Tuesday, October 23, 2007

So I have no clue if this is a "world wide phenomenon" or what, but here in Rancho, all the wiggers seem to love Soulja Boy. No, not Soldier. Soul-Jah. This got me thinking that I should do some comparison of lyrics to songs I like, to lyrics of songs that everyone else likes (well, according to things like Billboard, anyway).

Soulja Boy's "Crank That Soulja Boy"
"Soulja Boy Off In This Hoe
Watch Me Crank It
Watch Me Roll
Watch Me Crank Dat Soulja Boy
Then Super Man Dat Hoe"

vs. Kate Nash's "Birds"
"but he was lookin' at her yeah
all funny in the eye
she said c`mon boy
tell me what you're thinkin` now dont be shy
he said alright i'll try
well the stars up in the sky
and the leaves in the tree
all the broken bits that make you trip up and the grassy bits inbetween
all the matter in the world
is how much that i like you
she said what?"

Oh yeah, Soulja Boy totally won there. His lyrics are so profound and deep talking about "hoes" and himself and putting the two together, but love ... everybody sings about love, there's certainly nothing original there. Especially when the main character goes on to awkwardly compare the girl he likes so much to a bird. Nothing sweet and endearing there, no.


Irreplaceable by Beyonce
" To the left to the left
To the left to the left
To the left to the left
Everything you own in the box to the left"

vs Ghost of Corporate Future by Regina Spektor
" When he gets to the crowded subway platform,
He takes off both of his shoes
He steps right into somebody's fat loogie
And everyone who sees him says, 'Ew.'
Everyone who sees him says, 'Ew.'
But he doesn't care,
'Cause last night he got a visit from the
Ghost of Corporate Future"

Thank you, Miss Knowles, because were it not for you, I might think my stuff was in a box to the right. Holy crap, though, I must stop the snark for a moment, because I just got big news. The person who told me Beyonce Knowles was a big fat homophobe who doesn't like big gays listening to her music was misinformed! She was damn near raised by her gay uncle, in fact!

Now, I'll give my readers credit. Maybe they don't share my interest in oddball storyteller anti-folk lyrics. So, one more.

Colbie Caillat's "Bubbly"
"I've been awake for a while now
you've got me feelin like a child now
cause every time i see your bubbly face
i get the tinglies in a silly place"

vs The Academy Is...' "Everything We Had"
" I am no gentleman, I can be a prick.
And I do regret more than I admit.
You have been followed back to the same place
I sat with you drink for drink.
Take the pain out of love, and then love won't exist.
"

No, really, "I get the tinglies in a silly place" is probably the best lyric I ever heard. Because, y'know, laughter is really good for your brain. My DS told me so.

2 comments:

The Ferryman said...

I got the tinglies reading this post.

Jade said...

someone just sent me a cover of "bitches ain't shit" done by Ben Folds. I somehow feel you could share in my joy in this...If you'd like, I could email it to you.