Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Most Basic Things My Job Has Reminded Me Of
(that nobody else seems to want to remember)

  • Check that a door isn't an emergency exit before opening it. Fire alarms are loud and scare small children.
  • When you're done, throw away your trash.
  • Do not stick gum under the table; somebody has to clean that up!
  • Tell your kids to stop yelling! Especially if it triggers a ten kid scream competition, not in spite of.
  • Never call your boss a bitch when there are coworkers as witnesses. And think twice before using as your apology, "I'm on my period I hate everything."
  • NEVER refer to the fact that you lied on your application about being on probation at previous jobs when there are coworkers present.
  • Be careful what you wear when job hunting. Big baggy jeans with giant marijuana leaves stitched on them are not your best bet.
  • Be considerate with who you chose to be mad at. If french fries cost twenty cents more than they did yesterday, it is not the fault of the sixteen year old girl texting at the register all day.
  • The line is changing: the customer may always be right, but in many cases he is also an overly self-involved twat who knows the world revolves around him all the while ignoring the other customers waiting for their time. In short, if you ordered an ice cream, and there was ten people behind you in line, you're gonna wait awhile. Bitching and moaning will not cause your cashier to grow a second set of arms. And if it did, she'd probably just strangle you instead of getting you ice cream.

I go in tomorrow. Noon to five. This exhausted, miserable face? Is that of a person who can hardly wait to go make (after taxes) $31.25 for five hours of ball busting labor.
Or they'll do me like they did before ... work me two hours and give me $12.50.

In short? Be nice to people who work in food service. Even those who aren't the best at it. We're human, and we try. But it's an acting job like none other, and it can be hard to keep up many hours of "I'm happy, and I love people, and nobody's rude and obnoxious to me ever, and I'm socially flawless to boot." It's hard for people to act that way even when they feel that way! Be compassionate and kind, and it will come back good on you.

Have a Happy Sunday,
Melony Louise

No comments: